Ready to become a beekeeper and own your own beehive? This is so exciting! This time next year you will have pounds of natural, beneficial honey. The easiest way to get started is to purchase a complete beekeeping starter kit.
Beekeeping Starter Kit Defined
Starter kits should have everything you need to get started. Usually some components of a bee suit, the basic components of a bee hive, and a few basic beekeeping tools. The more complete kits have more of what you will eventually need, and the smaller kits have just the bare minimum to get you started. If you are sure you want to be a beekeeper, I would suggest just getting one of the complete kits so you won’t have to buy anything else for a while.
My Favorite Starter Kit
My favorite kit is a very complete starter kit built by buildabeehive.com. It is called the Gold Standard Bee Hive Starter Kit. This kit is the perfect solution for the beginner beekeeper. It has everything you need and nothing you don’t. It comes completely assembled so you’ll be ready to get right to work this spring. All you have to do is get the bees! It comes with
- Two – 9 5/8″ painted deep brood boxes w/frames and plasticell foundation,
- One – 6 5/8″ painted medium depth super w/frames and plasticell foundation,
- One- bottom board,
- One- inner cover and top cover,
- One – hive tool,
- One – 4×7 smoker and fuel,
- One – bee brush,
- One – plastic queen excluder,
- One – First Lessons in Beekeeping,
- One- Boardman entrance feeder,
- One – Alexander style veil,
- One – set ventilated leather gloves. I especially like the ventilated gloves because my hands often get hot in my bee suit.
The manufacturer also has a great money back guarantee. They have been around a long time and stand behind their products.
Some Other Great Options
One way to save some money is to buy an un-assembled beekeeping starter kit. This type of kit usually has all the components of the more expensive kits, you just have to put them together and paint them yourself. My favorite is the Deluxe Bee Hive Starter Kit. This kit has basically the same components as the Gold Standard Bee Hive Starter Kit mentioned above. The Deluxe Bee Hive Starter Kit has everything you need for less money. You’ll be eating fresh honey on your toast in no time.
Another great beekeeping starter kit is the Mann Lake HK110 10-Frame Traditional Basic Starter Kit. This kit costs less then the two kits mentioned above primarily because it has fewer components. Don’t get me wrong, this kit has what you need to get started, but there is a good chance you’ll be back on amazon buying more components soon. If budget is an issue, or if you just want to start small, this kit is perfect for you. The kit comes with:
- One 9-5/8-inch assembled hive body
- Ten 9-1/8-inch assembled painted wood frames with waxed Rite-Cell foundation
- Assembled telescoping cover with inner cover
- Assembled bottom board with reducer
- One 10-inch hive tool.
- One pair economy leather gloves
- One Alexander bee veil
- One dome top smoker with guard
- The new Starting Right with Bees book.
Mann Lake is a trusted name in beekeeping and has been building beekeeping supplies for years. You wont be disappointed with this beekeeping starter kit.
Well there’s three options. Chances are one of them is perfect for you. If you have more questions, go ahead and ask us with the web form on our “Contact Us” page.
If you found this information useful, please share it with your friends on Facebook and Twitter, and we wish you all the best with your beekeeping starter kit.